- A 500-year-old painting of Jesus Christ believed to have been painted by Leonardo da Vinci has been sold in New York for a record $450m.
- The painting is known as Salvator Mundi (Saviour of the World).
- Even though few critics have questioned the authenticity of the painting, its sale places Salvator Mundi as the highest-priced work sold privately or at auction.
- The buyer remains a mystery. The unidentified buyer was involved in a bidding contest, over the telephone, that lasted nearly 20 minutes.
- Leonardo da Vinci died in 1519 and there are fewer than 20 of his paintings in existence.
To learn more about Leonardo da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi click here